+ Bonus practice test
“Sleep deprivation has consequences beyond its impact on adenosine levels.”
For doctors: https://swooshenglish.com/oet-packages-doctors/
For nurses: https://swooshenglish.com/oet-packages-nurses/
If you have any questions, put them in the message box below!
Make sure you SHARE this lesson with your friends and colleagues who are also preparing for OET. 🙂
Now it is time to practice….are you ready?
OET Reading Bonus Practice Test
1. Have a look at the following sentence:
This is because the body stops producing the appropriate levels of neurotransmitters that ADHD drugs replace − a trademark of addictive substances.
What function does the word “trademark” play in the sentence? What kind of word is it grammatically? A verb, a noun, or an adjective?
2. Look at the sentence again. Is the word trademark being presented in a positive or negative sentence? How do you know this?
3. Look at the sentence one more time. What connecting word or phrase is used? What is the function of this?
4. Now look at the two sentences which come before our original sentence. How do they help us to understand the meaning of the word trademark?
As Dr Saul asserts, “addiction to stimulant medication isn’t rare; it’s common. Just observe the many patients periodically seeking an increased dosage as their powers of concentration diminish. This is because the body stops producing the appropriate levels of neurotransmitters that ADHD drugs replace − a trademark of addictive substances.”
5. Look at your answers to all the previous questions. What do you think the word trademark might mean in the context of the original sentence?
1. Object; noun
2. Positive as there is no use of negation within the sentence
3. Because it is used to provide a reason or explanation for something. It indicates that we should read the preceding sentences to discover more information.
4. It provides a wider context for the word and shows that the information is being given as a quotation. More importantly, it demonstrates that the focus of the quotation is to provide information as to how ADHD medication acts as an addictive substance by having a physiological impact on the patient in a similar manner to other stimulant medication.
5. “a physiological reaction”