How To Score High in Reading
1. Make use of background knowledge
2. Read the question and each of the options carefully
3. Work out whether you’re reading for gist or detail
4. Be aware of the paraphrase
1. Look at the following sample question. Have you read anything similar in your native language? So how could you use your background knowledge when reading the text?
The extract explains
A. why bed baths are sometimes necessary.
B. how bed baths can maintain patient dignity.
C. why bed baths are often left to lower-level nursing staff.
Bed Baths in Hospital
2. Read the question carefully, which words in the options are used instead of “all” or “every”?
3. What sort of question is the above: gist or detail? How do you know this?
4. Are any of the options paraphrased in the text? In what way(s)?
5. Now try to answer the question. Check your answer below. Which of the techniques did you find most useful
1. Possible answers: conducting/observing or ordering bed baths; working in a general hospital environment; reading medical extracts
2. Hedging: “sometimes”, “can”, “often”
3. Detail as it’s asking for which piece of information is explained within the text
5. Answer: A
Join one of our OET course packages (starting at just $49)in order to get high quality practice and feedback from one of our OET UK teachers by clicking here:
READ OUR PREVIOUS BLOGS: