The most common instructions in Writing task 2 are as follows:
- To what extent do you agree or disagree with this opinion?
- Discuss both these views and give your own opinion.
- Do you think the advantages of……… outweigh the disadvantages?
- Less commonly, they might ask you, for example. Has this become a positive or negative development?
Common topics include:
- Universities Schools
- Health and fitness
- Bringing up children
- The environment
Here is an example of a question in which students often make mistakes with:
Writing Task 2
You should spend about 40 minutes on this task. Write about the following topic:
One useful way of making sure you focus on the question is to break it down into parts.
For Writing Task 2 these are:
- Task Achievement – you should address all parts of the task.
- Coherence and Cohesion – you should organise your writing in paragraphs using linking words.
- Lexical Resource – you should use a wide range of academic or formal vocabulary.
- Grammatical Range and Accuracy – you should show control over your language.